Friday, January 18, 2013

MAYBELLINE GEL EYELINER (REVIEW, SWATCHES & PHOTOS)


MAYBELLINE GEL EYELINER (REVIEW, SWATCHES & PHOTOS)

                                         
The Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner has a large amount of faithful fans in the blogging world, with most people considering it as the cheaper alternative to MAC Fluidline Gel Eyeliner. I'm a huge fan of Fluidline, but MAC's products can be quite pricey to keep re-purchasing over and over again, so I jumped on the bandwagon and decided to give Maybelline's gel liner a go.
 Maybelline claims that the Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner is long-lasting, easy to apply, intensely pigmented and it doesn't transfer. At first, when I swatched it I was really impressed; I could clearly see that it was similar to MAC Fluidline in consistency and pigmentation. The pot also comes with a little brush, which is quite handy and definitely a bonus.


When put to the test, however, this product was a bit of a disappointment to me. Apart from being really pigmented and soft, the two main claims that it lasts 24h and that it doesn't transfer are simply not true. Whilst applying eyeliner, I like to look straight in the mirror to see if everything is going according to plan, but as soon as I looked up to the mirror, in the middle of the application, this eyeliner transferred onto my eyelids.

I find it really difficult to have to wait a long time for the eyeliner to dry, and that's something that never happens with my MAC Fluidline, which dries almost immediately after application. You can set it with a powder eyeshadow like MAC Carbon, by running the black eyeshadow over the gel eyeliner, but that's such a hassle and it takes forever; you're better off just using MAC Fluidline on its own, in my opinion!

Maybelline's Gel Eyeliner also doesn't last 24h on me; because it transfers so much throughout the day, by the end of the day, the line is looking a bit worse for wear. I found myself looking like I had deliberately applied a line of black eyeshadow on my crease and not blended it.

So, overall I'm quite disappointed with this eyeliner, maybe because I had high hopes for it, but I also think that a gel eyeliner that transfers as much as this one is not even practical to have in your makeup collection. I do like the formulation and the pigmentation, but that's about it.

Have you tried Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner? What do you think of it? What's your favourite gel eyeliner?




No comments:

Post a Comment